Healthy food - teach yourself to like it

Kids caught a nasty flue last week and I spent two days in the local hospital with one of them. During those days I thought a lot about how to increase immunity. Healthy diet didn't exactly come to my mind when I explored the selection of processed food of the snack vending machine in the hospital lobby. Sure there were a few good choices, but not enough since I was obliged to stay there more than just a couple of hours. Fresh fruits would have been a good start! Nevertheless, they wouldn't probably be a success as the provider of the vending machine service would hope.


Another important thing came to my mind: how to teach people to eat vegetables? Children get used to different flavours more easily when exposed to them already during their fetal period. Teach yourself first, then you're able to show a good example. In my experience, it's no use telling children to eat their vegetables if the adult doesn't eat all kinds of food themself.  Kids are clever, they ask for argumentation. On which grounds they should taste something that others don't taste at all. Getting used to different flavours can take a long time, but I think it's worth trying!

Next summer I'll be growing vegetables also with local kids. Local 4-H-club has project called "Luonnosta käsin" in which the children are first taught to set up a vegetable garden and after that to take care of their plants. I hope the growing conditions will be good next summer and we will have lots of vegetables to harvest. See muhos.4h.fi/luonnosta-kasin-hanke/ for more information.


Popular Posts